Thursday, August 27, 2020

The Fine Line Between Trusting Doctors, and Trusting Yourself

When I moved here a few months ago I had to get an annual exam that was due, which lead to having to get some unexpected biopsies, which then lead to my surgery I had done yesterday. 


I found out (from what the surgeon had shared with my mom after my surgery) that I have stage three endometriosis. He also removed what appeared to be the same pesky fibroid in the exact same spot as my last one was, that grew back since my last surgery. I knew something was there all along.  That thing has been holding onto my uterus for dear life and doesn’t seem to ever want to let go. Maybe it doesn’t want me to ever be alone. (eyes rolling). Ive learned that I just have to stay on it. Because a lot doctors may not. Ive also learned that you must be your own advocate. I’ll find out more in detail the rest of my results and my treatment plan to keep the endometriosis under control at my post op in a few weeks. The surgeon told my mom, “I can’t believe her last surgeon didn’t catch all this endo. If he would have Christina wouldn’t be as severe as she is now.” Maybe it developed afterwards. Or, perhaps my last surgeon did miss it. I don’t know. 

 

All I know now is that I’m so thankful finally for some movement. Something other than ‘you are fine,’ when I wasn’t. For going with my gut on seeking a more aggressive approach to stay in control of my health. I’m grateful for finding this doctor and his advice of the importance of having this done. He said to me before my surgery, something no doctor has ever said. “ Christina, you are not crazy. You must trust your pain is trying to tell you something. Let’s first and foremost find out what’s going on. We need to get you BETTER! Then we can discuss fertility later. He was so right. For me, what matters the most is feeling better and getting healthy. As for the past doctor and to his defense, I would like to have kids and I wouldn’t want to do something that would lessen my chances of that happening especially at my age. BUT, I'm come to the conclusion that taking care of myself now is more important than anything else, even that. 

I wish all doctors could see this message. "Never dismiss or undervalue your patients.  Even the ‘crazy ones’ that keep coming back. They aren’t crazy. They are trying to tell you something is wrong. They need your help."


This is such a personal thing and I wasn’t going to share it, but after following some IG accounts of women who have struggled with everything from Endo, to ovarian cysts, fibroids, childbirth complications, hormone issues, cervical problems to cancer, and sharing their journeys giving strength to others through their posts, I wanted to do the same. 


We shouldn’t have to let our issues pile up internally and pretend every thing is fine when it isn’t. It’s about time we ditched being caught up in the binds of modesty and talk about this stuff. By doing so you could be offering comfort, answers, and helpful information to someone else going through similar things.  Sometimes all we need is some insight, a positive message, and a little light to give us the kick we needed to trust ourselves all along. 💛

No comments:

Post a Comment