Monday, March 29, 2021

Being Real Matters More than Being the Best

"Has anyone ever told you that you have an amazing honesty quality about you? It's quite comforting. You're the only person on IG who is doing the opposite of posting boat and private plane pics. It's rare."

That would be amazing if I could share photos like that. Like if I actually DID own a boat or DID own my own plane. Those are big accomplishments. I share when I eat like a pig or punish myself when I have my moments of binging on Netflix. I'm open about how hard it's been trying to find my dream job. I talk openly about my hair thinning, my endo journey, and I drop too many pics of me hiking because I'm obsessed with nature. Or if it's not that it's photos of interiors or a really cool candle or that perfect foam top on my coffee. All of this is ordinary and boring compared to yachts and planes. I have to say though that for the first time in a long time I thoroughly enjoy embracing and sharing my ordinary real self with the world, regardless of how regular it is.

Everything that individual said to me in the quote above is true lately but there was a time where that wasn't so true. Who you surround yourself with can have A LOT to do with what influences your choices and actions. Hanging with your gal pal and going to take photos outside of fancy hotels, on yachts, in sports cars or at private lounges all just to look rich and successful got exhausting and depressing for me. I could never afford to stay the night at a 5 star hotel, rent a yacht for a day, drive a ferrari or join a private members only club.  So why was I doing this? I was lying to myself and others. Was it to make myself feel successful in the LA kind of way? Or to make others think so? For attention? To fit in? 

People love all the blingy boujee stuff it seems. All the likes and attention are toward the extravagant lifestyle photos in your lingerie and Louboutins, not the one of your coffee latte heart you made or the picture of the cool cactus you saw. Those things are so regular. Ordinary. Plus there's nothing sexy about either (sex sells). But people also love authenticity and being real. There are different kinds of people drawn to different things. Eventually you will come to a place where you wont give two fucks about what EVERYONE thinks. Or what ANYONE thinks. You will finally feel comfortable and happy in your own skin and find joy in sharing your life for EXACTLY how it is. That's when you'll start to see the good fruit.  The only apples left will be the the ones that actually matter!

I've been alone more throughout this past year and even though it's had its downsides, a positive thing about it all is that it's allowed me to spend more time with me. Less distraction, less about doing things that I never loved doing in the first place and more about the things in life that I enjoy and are meaningful.

Not everything has to be perfect. In order for others to feel like you’re being real, you must actually, well, be real. It’s okay to share things without a filter or post about challenges and struggles. Of course there’s a fine line here as you don’t want to present yourself in a negative way, but being open and honest goes a long way in establishing AUTHENTICITY. Being honest can seem like an insurmountable task, but it boils down to just being yourself. It's really easy actually. Your life doesn't have to be perfectly manicured to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment